- November 24, 2023
- Core Web Vitals
Achieving a perfect 100 score in SEO is a significant milestone for any website. It’s a clear indicator that the site is well-optimised for search engines, adhering to the best practices that not only improve its visibility but also enhance user experience. In this blog, we’ll dissect our approach to achieving this feat, focusing on the critical aspects evaluated by Lighthouse, Google’s open-source, automated tool for improving the quality of web pages.
Understanding Lighthouse SEO Scoring
Lighthouse provides a range of audits to assess a page’s adherence to SEO best practices. While it doesn’t cover all factors affecting search ranking, it offers a solid foundation. It’s important to note that Core Web Vitals, which are part of Google’s Search Essentials, also play a role in overall SEO performance.
Key Areas We Optimised
1. Meta Viewport Tag
- Definition: The
<meta name="viewport">tag controls how a webpage is displayed on mobile devices. It ensures that the page is scaled and rendered according to the device’s size.
- Importance: This tag is essential for responsive design, enabling your website to adapt to various screen sizes and orientations, thus enhancing the user experience.
- Implementation: We ensured that our website contains a <meta name=”viewport”> tag. This tag is crucial for responsive design, allowing our page to scale correctly on different devices.
2. Title and Meta Description
- Effective Titles:
- Definition: The
<title>element of a webpage specifies its title, which is displayed on search engine results pages (SERPs).
- Importance: Unique and descriptive titles help in better indexing and can significantly improve the click-through rate.
- Every page on our website has a unique and descriptive <title> element, succinctly summarising the page content.
- Meta Descriptions:
- Definition: Meta descriptions provide a brief summary of the content on a webpage.
- Importance: Well-crafted meta descriptions can improve click-through rates and are often used by search engines in the snippet shown in search results.
- We crafted compelling meta descriptions for each page to improve click-through rates from search engine results.
3. HTTP Status Code
- Definition: HTTP status codes are issued by a server in response to a client’s request to the server.
- Importance: Successful status codes (like 200 OK) indicate that your webpage can be accessed without issues, which is crucial for SEO and user experience.
- Server Health: Our pages return a successful HTTP status code, indicating that they are accessible and error-free.
4. Link Optimisation
- Descriptive Link Text:
- Definition: The anchor text of a hyperlink should be descriptive of its destination.
- Importance: Descriptive link texts aid in SEO by providing context and helping search engines understand the content’s relevance.
- All links have descriptive text, making it easier for users and search engines to understand their relevance.
- Crawlable Links:
- Definition: Links that are accessible and readable by search engine crawlers.
- Importance: Ensuring crawlability allows search engines to effectively navigate and index your site’s content.
- We ensured that our links are crawlable, allowing search engines to navigate and index our content effectively.
5. Indexing and Crawling
- Open for Indexing:
- Definition: Webpages should be accessible for indexing by search engines.
- Importance: This ensures that your content appears in search results.
- Our pages are not blocked from indexing, ensuring they are discoverable by search engines.
- Valid robots.txt:
- Definition: The robots.txt file is used to guide how search engines crawl your site.
- Importance: A properly configured robots.txt file can optimize how search engines index your content.
- Our robots.txt file is correctly configured to manage and optimise search engine crawling.
6. Image Alt Attributes
- Definition: The alt attribute in image tags provides a text alternative for search engines and visually impaired users.
- Importance: These attributes contribute to both SEO and web accessibility, offering context to search engines and assistive technologies.
- Accessibility and SEO: All image elements on our site have descriptive [alt] attributes, improving accessibility and providing context to search engines.
7. Hreflang and Canonical Tags
- Definition: Hreflang tags are used to specify the language and geographical targeting of a webpage.
- Importance: They help search engines serve the most appropriate version of a page based on the user’s location or language preference.
- We use valid hreflang tags for serving the correct language or regional URL in search results.
- Canonical Tags:
- Definition: A rel=”canonical” link element is used to specify the preferred version of a set of pages with highly similar content.
- Importance: It helps to avoid duplicate content issues in search engine indexing.
- Proper use of rel=canonical ensures that search engines understand which pages are definitive, preventing duplicate content issues.
8. Avoiding Plugins
- Definition: Ensuring that websites do not rely on plugins like Flash or Java applets for critical content.
- Importance: This improves compatibility and accessibility across various browsers and devices since many modern browsers restrict or do not support such plugins.
- Our website avoids plugins, ensuring compatibility and accessibility across various browsers and devices.
Manual Checks and Structured Data Validation
While we passed the automated audits, Lighthouse also highlights the importance of manual checks:
- Validating Structured Data:
- Definition: Structured data refers to any data that is organized in a predefined format, enabling search engines to better understand and display it in SERPs.
- Importance: Validating structured data ensures it can be used effectively by search engines, potentially enhancing visibility in rich snippets and knowledge graphs.
- We regularly use additional validators to ensure our structured data is correctly implemented. This enhances our content’s visibility in search results, especially in rich snippets and knowledge graphs.
Attaining a 100 SEO score from Lighthouse means that our site adheres to fundamental SEO principles, but it’s just a part of the ongoing journey of SEO optimisation. It’s crucial to stay updated with the evolving SEO landscape, including algorithm updates and emerging best practices. Remember, a strong SEO strategy is not just about pleasing search engines but about providing the best possible experience for your users.